Mein Neues Leben in Deutschland

Monday, December 05, 2005

No Day But Today

When I was a student in Ateneo, I heard this story. Many people were asked a question. What would they do if they had 3 days to live. People said things like saying sorry to a friend or relative they have had a fight with, or telling a special someone how much they meant to them, or going to confession. And in the end, a wise-ass Jesuit priest says, I'll continue playing ping-pong. He said (in all humility) that he has lived his life the best way he believed (in accordance to his faith) that even if he were to die at that very moment, he would be ready. No last minute arrangements. No regrets.

I rather liked the wisdom in that story. It suggests that we live every minute our lives as fully as possible because there is no absolute guarantee that we will all see the sun rise the next day, or the day after that.

This of course doesn't mean that we don't have to do our work because there's no guarantee our boss, our company or even ourselves will be around the next day. I believe the idea is to be present in the moment. Not to live a life of regrets.

I can't control
My destiny
I trust my soul
My only goal is just
To be
There's only now
There's only here
Give in to love
Or live in fear
No other path
No other way
No day but today

from the song Another Day. From the musical Rent

4 Comments:

  • Wise words, but kinda hard to live by, don't you think? Like most people, there are things I wish I would've done but never did.

    By Blogger Grace, at 2:18 AM  

  • Just dropping by to wish you Maligayang Pasko!

    -Grace

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:21 AM  

  • Speaking of RENT, I watched RENT the movie on dvd recently. Of course there's nothing like the stage play and the movie lacked the gripping human emotions that the play was so aptly able to bring out. But I loved how they portrayed some of the songs. My favorites would have to be their rendition of La Vie Boheme, Tango Maureen (lots of people dancing the tango) and Santa Fe. Their setting for the Sante Fe song was a subway.

    By the way, did you know that Andrew never even liked the play?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:13 AM  

  • Yup, he didn't. He sat through the standing ovation when we watched it in NY.

    And WHY are you in MULTIPLY? Oh, and drop our last name from your public profile dear sister. Especially with you and Andrew's job :)

    By Blogger Ernest, at 3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home