Mein Neues Leben in Deutschland

Friday, December 17, 2004

Der Weihnachtsmarkt


The Weihnachtsmarkt

School is almost over and Christmas is almost upon us. Last night, I went out with my friends to the famous Bremen Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas Market). It really was a heart warming sight. They have converted the entire Marktplatz into a Christmas Village. Every direction I looked, I'd could see dancing lights, colorful booths, Christmas-themed puppet shows on department store windows, food kiosks selling the most savory crépes, mouth watering Schaschlik, and other seriously tempting food! (I'm getting hungry writing about it) The Marktplatz was full of people, shopping, drinking, eating, wearing Santa Claus hats with dancing lights, and generally just enjoying themselves.

We all had the Glühwein, a popular German Christmas drink which is basically boiled red wine with cinnamon and other spices. It was really good! Then I had to try the Feuerzangebowle, another popular Christmas drink.

There we were in the Weihnachtsmarkt, in the cold, warming up with our beverages, talking, laughing and just being silly. I really wish I had a digital camera with me (I can afford one soon I hope!) to capture the occasion. So you have to settle for net rip-offs. Hehehe.



Feuerzangebowle (Fire Tong Punch) - Rum is poured over a suger cone and ignited. The melted suger-rum drips into a ceramic cup with red wine. This was a stronger drink but also very good.

Schaschlik - Basically something like barbequed lamb. My Russian collegue told met the German Schaschlik is a pale version of the original Russian Shashlik which is much, MUCH larger.

2 Comments:

  • the christmas market photo looks like a scene from a children's christmas movie:). ganda!
    -jo anne

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:02 AM  

  • It does doesn't it? Thats what I thought too. Polar Express comes to mind. Hehe.

    (Thanks for dropping by!)

    By Blogger Ernest, at 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home