Mein Neues Leben in Deutschland

Monday, January 31, 2005

The Secret Cause

When I was younger, I said to myself that I will devote myself to a social cause by the time I reach 21. I was going to adapt an issue, and devote my life to fighting for (or against) it. I turned 21, then 22, then 23, until twenty...mublemumble... And still my life has been devoted simply to myself.

I've spent many years trying to improve my body, my mind, my skills, my relationship, my life, my computer, my room, my career, my, my, my, my, my. I did feel for issues pertaining to environment, human rights, animal rights, and education, but not with the kind passion that could sustain that effort.

But there's something happening to me right now thats scaring me. I think that I'm beginning to feel strongly for a particular issue that I have always taken forgranted. I was reading an magazine article on a train, then something snapped (metaphorically of course) and I felt that I found a cause that I can really put my energy to.

I'm scared because having a cause is scary. It's that simple. Fighting for something brings you way past your comfort zone, into very dangerous territory. I'm scared because I'm beginning to see things differently. I'm afraid that once I explore this, I can no longer be silent.

Im still looking more into this "cause". I don't wana jump into it like a "Dazer" in his fourth day, Or some of the obstinate Erap rallyists during EDSA 3 (How many of them really understood what they were fighing for?) I want to understand the situation more before I start claiming that I am an advocate of this or that. I'll be doing my research, you can be sure of that. Until then, wish me luck.



Dazer - Reference to Days with the Lord, a 3-day retreat held in many Catholic Schools where the participants (Dazers) usually go through an inspiring life changing experience. The fourth day is a metaphor for the rest of their lives, where they are supposed to continue to live up to the ideals they have learned in the retreat. Most 4th days last for about 2 weeks.

4 Comments:

  • hey dude, sounds serious =) i'll know you'll figure things out soon enough. i'd love to hear more about it when you're ready. take man. =)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:53 PM  

  • don't worry, your cause will find you! in the meantime, good luck. nicely written, too.
    -kala

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:24 PM  

  • Hi Kala and Eric. Thanks for dropping by. Thanks for the kind words also. And Kala, coming from u, I consider that to be a high compliment ;). Eric, see you online!

    By Blogger Ernest, at 10:41 PM  

  • hi! random find via rbj...

    my 4th day lasted about 3 weeks.

    best of luck to you and your new cause!

    By Blogger lifecafe, at 8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home